Wednesday, February 10, 2010

10 Year Anniversary

My husband and I are celebrating our 10 Year Anniversary tomorrow. We plan on spending the next decade in Europe, beginning with France.

Isn't this the perfect card? The inside reads, "I am still hog wild over you." If only we were those oinkers at this very moment.

I was however shocked to read in a book called When in France, Do As The French Do, that France has the lowest per capita marriage rate in Europe. How is that possible? Isn't France where love blossoms in public? Where you are lost in time making out at the outdoor cafes? Is that where it all ends? No one ever makes it to the altar?

Well Paris........I still adore your art, your food, your fashion, but it seems like I will have some lessons for you when it comes to tying the knot.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am coming to you from my blog, thank you so much for popping in for a visit. I see another friend of Paris. Tis is a city I too adore and wish I could go back to.
happy Anniversary to you.
Wen are you going? I want to jump in your bag!
x Suzi

Anonymous said...

HAPPY 10 Year ANNIVERSARY!!!!!! I asked the French folks who I use to work with at IFF about marriage and they explained that they stay in comitted relationships but they just don't believe in the institution of marriage. I scratched my head on that one for a bit. It's still the city of Romance! Paul & I wish you a very happy 10th. Keep an eye out for some fun things... hehehe

Parisbreakfasts said...

Adorable card and I think you should share with the world your secrets!!!

Punctuation Mark said...

Happy Anniversary... wish you many more years of happiness

PeterParis said...

The number of marriages decreases, but there is now a less formal "contract" called "Pacs" (Pacte civil de solidarité), which gives some of the marriage formal advantages and less of its disadvantages. Since its creation in 1999 the number of "Pacs" has increased each year and is now probably some 150 or 200.000 per year (when marriages have decreased from some 300.000 to some 250.000 per year). It seems thus that marriages = Pacs totally more people than before are getting formally united! :-)
... and the French birth rate is one of the highest in Europe! :-)

Happy 10th anniversary and welcome to Europe and Paris!

Leo @ cupcakes in Paris said...

Happy anniversary! wow... 10 year! That's awesome!
What a realization about the French, huh? It is true that marriage is not the institution it is in America. But, as Peter mentionned, the PACS is now an alternative to the more formal and traditionnal marriage. And many people are choosing this route.
While I totally understand other people's choices and respect them, I truly believe in marriage. My commitment to my husband would not feel "real" if we had not married before god.
Happy Valentine's day!