Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Les Choristes

Last night, I checked out a French movie from the library called Les Choristes (The Chorus). It's a movie about a man named Clement Mathieu, who takes a job as a prefect at a troubled school for boys. He uses his music, that he had neglected for years, to form a Chorus out of an unruly bunch of kids, at a school with a strict and overbearing headmaster. The outcome is miraculous and changes the pupil's lives forever.

My husband and I were both so enthralled in the movie from the get go. It was such an inspirational story and a story about looking past what is evident to most. We are all born with flaws and shortcomings and living lives as a result of our environment. It takes special people that can look at our true essence and approach us with kindness, humility, and love to break down our barriers.

Please see this movie. You will not be disappointed.
















This is a recording of me saying a line out of the movie in French, which means "Thank you sir Mathieu." I loved it so much because it's a tongue twister, but so eloquently French. Let me know how I did. I will find myself calling everyone Monsieur Mathieu when I visit Paris, because it is the only phrase I learned.

3 comments:

Karin B (Looking for Ballast) said...

I heard about this one, but never saw it. It is a favorite of one of my French friends, though. Maybe someday I will see it -- I know it was very popular in France!

If you want to learn more about what Paris looks and feels like, you should check out Cédric Klapisch's movie called "Paris" as well as the movie "Paris j'taime" (by various directors).

Links here: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0869994/

and here: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0401711/

I just saw the first one (I had gotten it on DVD here, but I know the States has had it released on DVD, too) and really liked it. It captured some of the things of daily life here in the city very well, I felt.

Have fun with all your learning!

Owen said...

Les Choristes ! An excellent, touching movie... loved it...

Catherine said...

A great success in France...A good choice.
Have you seen "Le Fabuleux Destin d'Amélie Poulain" typically parisian, like a fairy tale...You would like it, I guess. Rent it if you find it.
Your "Merci Monsieur Mathieu" is quite perfect.